"What Is It???" Wednesday: A nail by any other name...

I'm aware it's a nail, but what kind of nail?  What do you all think?  If you need help, look for my nail cheat sheet below for square nails.

A) wrought nail 
B) early cut nail 
C) late cut nail 
D) wire cut nail 


Nail recovered from our recent Black Creek dig in Clay County.


Close up views of proximal and distal ends:












WHAT IS IT???


Last WIIW:  We have a winner!  Kudos to Debby for working it out that it's a minnow catcher!  I had never seen glass manufactured with those concave cones before.  I'm guessing they were pressed into the glass during the molding process?  Looks like a two piece mold.  An on-line search led to lists of auction pages dating them to the late 19th, early 20th century.  Will see what other information I can find (anyone from HistArch want to chime in?).





Text and Images: Sarah Miller, FPAN staff