Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I'll be traveling down later today to visit an elementary school in Volusia County to see this specimen in person.  Photo was sent to me by a 5th grade teacher who thinks it may be part of a projectile point.  I'm not so sure...any guesses?



WHAT IS IT???
text and image: Sarah Miller, FPAN staff

8 Responses so far.

  1. Debby says:

    My first guess was a fossilized shark's tooth, but could be a stone tool.

  2. Debby says:

    My first guess was a fossilized shark's tooth, but could be a stone tool.

  3. Debby says:

    Finally got a bigger pic and it has layers like an oyster shell. Maybe a shell tool of sorts?

  4. amoore27 says:

    It definately looks like an arrowhead. The layers are from the type of stone.

  5. amoore27 says:

    The museum I worked with in Illinois had hundreds. The size of this one suggests maybe it was used for larger prey like deer. We also had ones as small as a fingernail that were for birds.

  6. Having now seen the point in person I'm going to take the conservative view that it's not cultural, meaning not made or used by people. The base keeps tempting me to think its been worked and one side almost looks knapper, but the other side is pretty rough. The material is definitely oyster shell...anyone know of points from good context made out of oyster shell? Other tools yes, but don't think it would hold up well as a projectile. Disagree with me? Post your thoughts here, I'd love to hear them!

    Thanks to Ortona elementary for bringing this object to our attention. I walked the grounds with the Assistant Principal and the area was heavily disturbed. The school still has the point and knows to call me if anything else suspicious turns up. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

  7. Debby says:

    Www.texasbeyondhistory.net
    This site talks about oyster shell projectle points from Guadalupe Bay area.

  8. Thanks Debby! I checked out the Texas Beyond History site, some pretty amazing things made from shell. We asked them to let us know if anything else is found at this site- so far it would be just an isolated find, but we'll keep you posted!

- Copyright © Going Public - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -