Conversations about Conferences: Society for Historical Archaeology 2019

Historic St. Charles during Winter Storm Gia.

Sarah: What did you expect in attending SHA?
Presentation action shots are always the most
flattering. 

Emma: SHA is always a chance to network and catch up with colleagues you haven't been able to see in the year. I was expecting a pretty usual SHA; attend a bunch of sessions about public archaeology and heritage at risk, catch up with friends, and present my current projects. But this year was a little different.

Due to the government shutdown my session was canceled. At this SHA I planned to present my work I did while at the Midwest Archeological Center. Before I came to the East Central, I was working in Nebraska developing a heritage tourism program for the NPS. The session I was to present in was about archeology* education in the National Parks system. Since everyone in the session was an NPS employee, they were no longer able to attend the conference. So the session was canceled. 

But, I was there ready to present! Thankfully, the SHA conference organizers allowed me to present on the last day, after the last paper, in the last session. It was perfect! There was a decent number of people stayed to listen to my talk, although I do feel that a few were there out of the guilt they would feel if they were to leave before my talk. 

 I should realize by now that SHA will always have something unexpected happen, and that I should prepare for it all. This SHA would be one of the top most interesting I have ever attended. 


Sarah: So what did you actually learn?

Emma: This question is always the hardest for me to answer, because what didn't I learn? I think the best take away was learning how other organizations are confronting climate change, incorporating public education into field work, and the increasing voice of descendent communities into interpretation. 

Over 10 inches of snow
Sarah: What was the hardest part of attending the conference?

Emma: The hardest part about attending SHA is always remembering to pack for cold weather and being upset that I do not have a clone. There are so many sessions I want to got to, but they either happen at the same time, or are at the other end of the building. 

The conference is organized so well that it makes attending something to look forward to at the beginning of the year. I just really need to remember the SHA curse when I pack  


Sarah: What will you bring back for the public for their benefit?

Emma: Besides networking with some people about some new partnerships, I think I had a few sparks of inspiration to adjust some existing outreach programs! 

I am also hopeful about bringing my NPS project to Florida National Parks or even State Parks! Stay tuned.

Monks Mound! Not used to seeing mounds this large in Florida!

Sarah: What activities did you do, with the conference or in St. Charles?

Interpretive reconstruction of a grave excavated at Cahokia 
Emma: Besides getting to go to CAHOKIA!? Honestly, the Cahokia visit was amazing. It really is an experience any archaeology needs to have once in their lives. 

We got to climb Monks Mound, the largest pre-Columbia earthen work in the world, and the largest in North America. 

Then outside of attending sessions, I got to go the Public Education and Interpretation Committee meeting, and the Past Presidents Student Reception. 


Sarah: Anything that surprised you?

Emma: Winter Storm GiaThe St. Louis Airport Fire? Joking aside, at the conference I was surprised by how many Public Archaeology sessions or papers there were. If I were to look back through to the 2015 SHA I attended in Washington DC I think there would have been half the number of papers. You can definitely see the increase in the topic and the acceptance of Public Archaeology as its own professional sub field.  

Sarah: Future plans?

Emma: Preparation for SHA 2020? I am interested in presenting my work on the Florida Tales Through Ales project. Talk about how to access target audiences that traditional public archaeology programs don't reach. It will also be the largest project undertaken since I started at the East Central office!  



*Archaeology is spelled with out the "a" for federal work! Fun facts.

Words and Images by Emma Dietrich, FPAN Staff.