More Majolica Manicures: San Elizario for SAA

Since the first Majolica Manies post back in February 2013, I've added quite a bit to my repertoire.  And some for very good reasons.  Over the next few weeks I'll be loading up at least 7 more #MajolicaMani, so keep checking back.  And we love FAN NAIL: do your own archaeology inspired manicures and send them to me at @fpannortheast or @semiller88 on Twitter.


First up....

San Elizario (1750-1800)

When traveling recently to the Society for American Archaeology's annual meeting in Austin, I began to look for a potential mani match.  San Elizario sprang to mind for several reasons.  For one, it's a blue and white we find in St. Augustine that I had not yet attempted.  For two, it was named after a mission in Texas, presumably where it was first found and identified.  Finally, when I did a Google search for images I saw too many misidentified San Elizario!  I knew it was time to step in and do what I could to raise awareness of this beautiful ceramic type.


I was so excited to find more information on San Elizario's two locations at the James Bullock State Museum while in Austin.  Here are more pictures Spanish Colonial sites on land and sea featured at the museum:




Rabbit stick (reproduction) thrown by hunters, causing animals to stumble.

Mat fragment, ca 2000 B.C. - 1500 AD.




Cannon and other artifacts from La Salle's La Belle.


Glass trade beads brought by settlers for trade. Ca 1684

Brass hawk bells and Brass Trade rings, ca 1684.

Crucifix, ca 1740.

Halberd, ca 1684.

Replica skeleton of intact male burial and La Belle anchor rope.


Replica skeleton of intact male burial and La Belle anchor rope.

The only Majolica in the place!  Unidentified type bowl fragments, 18th c.

Hiram Wilson Stoneware face vessel, ca. 1850s.

Got excited it was a tomb stone, but in fact a treaty stone.

The Alamo!
  

For more #MajolicaMani posts check out:
*Initial Feb 2013 posting Majolica Manies



Text: Sarah Miller, FPAN staff


Images: Sarah Miller, digital type collection images of San Elizario sherds from Florida Museum of Natural History - Digital Type Collection.