Meet our Summer Intern, Ashley

Hello! My name is Ashley Theilacker. I am 17 years old, a rising senior in high school, and a summer intern at the Florida Public Archaeology Network's Northeast Region!


My interest in archaeology started when I was five years old. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time, and absolutely fell in love. I've carried my passion for history and archaeology with me through middle and high school, and my family has shared in my interest. We visit historic sites together for vacation (Williamsburg, Virginia holds a special place in my heart!), watch historical movies and TV shows together, and even own a collection of Revolutionary War objects in our house!


I am especially excited about interning with FPAN because it combines everything I am passionate about. In addition to history and archaeology, I also deeply enjoy writing, researching, and video editing, which are all skills I'll be utilizing during my internship! I am very excited to be given this opportunity to create exciting and interesting content for FPAN, and provide some insight into what's going on in the archaeological world of Florida!


Along with studying history, I also enjoy painting, reading and singing in choir, and I took dance lessons for 13 years. This will also be my fourth year taking American Sign Language. I hope to utilize that skill throughout my life in order to share history with even more people, as well as educate others about Deaf history. I can't wait to share more with you throughout the summer about the different historical projects happening here in Florida!

Text and photos by FPAN Intern, Ashley Theilacker.