Conversations about Conferences: SEAC 2021

 

Ready to #SEAC2021! Moravian slip ware 1750-1825. References cited

Sarah: Emily Jane, how are you doing? Fresh back from SEAC. What a great and wonderful thing- first conference post Covid-19 shut downs. This is such a different conference in such a different year- let’s try some new questions to try and bring the experience home for those who could not attend. Are you up?

Emily Jane: Heck yeah!

Sarah: Knew you would be. Alright- first question - what was it like to be at an in person conference? Did you feel comfortable? Anything you though stuck out at this SEAC for having the break due to Covid-19?

Emily Jane: It was so great to see lots of great friends and colleague that I usually only see once or twice a year at conferences. Though I did notice not everyone I usually see at SEAC was able to attend this year. I think the Board and conference organizers did a great job of planning outdoor social events and I was actually excited to coordinate my nerdy archaeology-themed masks to the sessions and events I attended!

Sarah: Yeah. It was interesting there were different levels of precautions. Everyone in the sessions I attended wore masks even while presenting. I love the attempt to move outside with the food trucks and music outside. It was a little hard to hear people sometimes at the microphone, and at the Business meeting I saw a few just when they were at the microphone take their masks down. It was difficult sometimes to recognize people just by their eyes in the halls, but some you could recognize across the room.

 

"We are concerned about impact of Climate Crisis on Heritage!" Twitter #SEAC2021.

But wow- how important to be in the same room! We’ll talk about sessions in a second, but it really was good to have people in the same room for discussions. I loved how Lindsey Cochran shared the QR code of her paper- so those present or following along on social media had access to her presentation and work. That was a smart idea to take forward pandemic or not (check it out for yourself).

And side note- I generally have a high level of anxiety attending conferences, but at this one I didn’t. I felt just really grateful to be there, be present, and didn’t regret a single moment. Felt good to be out!

Alright, another question: what sessions did you participate in and represent Florida?

Emily Jane: Well, I helped organize the North American Heritage at Risk (NAHAR) symposium, along with you and our colleague Meg Gaillard from SC DNR. Emma and I wrote a paper about collecting photogrammetric data in the field on artifacts that we see but don't collect. And I also participated with you in a symposium on African American cemeteries. And I checked out quite a few cool posters!

Sarah: Same as we were co-authors on many papers. I was so proud in the cemetery session to have Queen Quet and Representative Jenkins represent themselves and their ideas. In the discussions that followed, to hear people say “As Rep Jenkins said,” rather than “As Sarah said…” we’re on the right track decolonizing our work and supporting the community rather than extracting (a word you helped me remember this week).

Another question: What did you learn?

Emily Jane: I learned a lot about other organizations doing similar work on all of the things we do, heritage at risk, African American cemeteries, and digital heritage. Its always great to swap stories, share methods, and generally be able to support one another in all our efforts. I will definitely be following up with some of my colleagues on their projects!

Sarah: I learned a lot more about the organization. It helps to know Maureen so I was more aware of her Presidential duties and I’m chair of a committee this year. I really enjoyed the business meeting- the renaming of the CB Moore award to (look it up before posting) was such an interesting moment. The thoughtful steps of a Task Force to make recommendations, changing the name, but also selection of the recipients by former awardees is a great idea. I know Eddie Henry who received the last CB Moore Award. He’s a great person and archaeologists, well deserved. A good representative for the last awardee and glad he will be part of the selection committee next round.


Edward Henry of CSU receives last official CB Moore Award.

Any question for me? 

Emily Jane: Part of the fun of conferences is going to different places and learning about their history, archaeology, and local flavor. I was excited to get up to North Carolina, which I've somehow not spent much time in! The day after the conference, I headed to the North Carolina Museum of History and, along with the usual timeline of state history exhibit, saw a really neat exhibit on Beach Music. Anything not-quite-conference-related you learned with you travels?

Sarah: It sounds light and fluffy that I do manicures before I go to conferences, but I really spend time seeking the right ceramic tied to the place where the conference was happening. This year I did a Moravian Slipware based on designs created by two potters IN Durham! Was a pretty amazing connection to the place where we convened and I took a lot of inspiration from the colors and patterns.


Text and Photos: Sarah Miller & Emily Jane Murray, FPAN Staff