Welcome Valencia College Service Learning Student Julie!

 Hello, my name is Julie Alvarez, and I am a sophomore at Valencia College here in Orlando, Florida. I am participating in the Service Learning program as a Volunteer for FPAN’s East Central Region. I am majoring in General Studies and once I graduate, I will transfer to a local university to major in Anthropology. This is a very exciting opportunity that I have been given and I look forward to all I can accomplish with this amazing organization! Currently, I am researching the various indigenous groups that existed throughout Florida's history.

Indigenous people built hundreds of mounds and middens all over the state. Unfortunately, development has destroyed multitudinous mounds that existed but many of them are still here today. I will be visiting a few of these mounds and other sites that native Floridians inhabited in hopes to highlight their complex societies and monumental architecture. The most notable site I am going to explore is the Crystal River Archaeological State Park which is home to six mounds. It was occupied by indigenous people for 1,600 years and is one of the longest-used sites in Florida. It is said that around 7,500 people would gather there for ceremonies and over 1,000 people were laid to rest in the burial mound. 

My favorite subject of archaeology is ancient cultures, and I am thrilled to be researching these groups. Thank you to FPAN for giving me this opportunity to help me further pursue my passion for archaeology.

 

Sources: McCarthy, K. (1999). Native Americans in Florida. Pineapple Press. 


Look out for more blogs from Julie as she visits mound sites across Florida!