Going Public on Going Public!



 



I'm excited to speak today for the Center of Ancient Studies "Going Public" series! In answer to some of their questions, putting together this cheat sheet of how I put together presentations, good resources, and how things shifted to virtual during Covid-19.


FPAN's Going Public blog

National Association for Interpretation 

Become a Certified Interpretive Guide

Interpretive outline for a talk I often give- outline and tangibles/intangibles




Pecha Kucha

Notes for a recent talk I did on Irish Diaspora for resources to share during virtual talk

Spotify Playlists!

CRPT Course Rockin' Tunes
 


Facebook groups

Zoom hacks:

Here are a few things I put into recent slides that I think helped. Since it’s large I put the actual slides in google drive if it saves anyone any time from recreating. Or feel free to share what’s worked well for you that I can steal hahahaha (kidding, not kidding).

 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jjQ36TuXSrHN6BVg11UmER3CFRXq7uUl?usp=sharing

 

Couple things in case looking at it doesn’t make sense:

  • Temperature reading bar so I can see how familiar people are with topic (NAI rule 1: know your audience!)
  • Pointing out chat feature so people can post questions during to go through after
  • AND first thing I posted in chat was link to blog source that already had resources as number one question I kept getting was what website was such and such or where to find what and what- so that resource slide was already published on the blog so I didn’t have to do after the talk and send out
  • I’m ever improving on posting other people’s virtual content- plus Emily was ON this zoom, so was awesome she knew we were plugging our partners
  • Plugged our own Tea and Trowels
  • Pointer to download archaeology map on website
  • Inserted video – EmJ’s kingsley. It’s so good after a half hour to hear someone else’s voice and helped me take a moment to breath and check comments for AV issues
  • Reminding folks after where to find chat feature

 

For Arky works

  • Get out of Ice breaker FREE card! Hahaha, but still good to tell them why we would do in and hope to get together IRL at a workshop post covid
  • Put “handout” alter on anything that was a handout so they knew where to find it later (participants got materials in advance)
  • We couldn’t do stations virtually, but walked through what they would be doing and put in photos of people doing those things