Meet Caroline, East Central Region's Intern

 


My name is Caroline Amein and I am honored to be a student intern for FPAN in the East Central region. I grew up in Orlando and I am now a senior at Rollins College. I am majoring in anthropology and English with a minor in archaeology. As an FPAN intern, I help out wherever I can, whether that is setting up for the 2023 Tidally United conference in Titusville or tagging along to field visits and meetings with stakeholders and local governments.

On my first day on the job, I visited 6 cemeteries alongside Regional Director Sarah Miller. Part job as an FPAN intern is to update the Florida Master Site File so cemeteries are accurately recorded and to note any threats we note, like vandalism, neglect, or weather damage. The Master Site File is important because it is the only heritage database that developers are required to check before starting new projects. However, there are massive gaps in Florida’s records of cemeteries and graves. Sarah helps fill in these gaps and spreads the word about how to protect our cemeteries. FPAN’s Cemetery Resource Protection Training (CRPT) is another great way to help cemeteries by involving the community.

I’m currently working on my undergraduate thesis about Eatonville Memorial Gardens. Eatonville is the first Black incorporated town in the US and is recognized by the National Register of Historic Places. I am working with members of the community to help get Eatonville’s historic cemetery recognized as well.  I plan to get my Ph.D. in archaeology studying historical cemeteries and eventually become a professor. When I’m not studying, I like to read, hike, bake bread, and watch movies with my friends.

 

Thank you for welcoming me to the FPAN family!



Text and photo by Caroline Amein, FPAN Intern