Meet our Spring Intern Maria!

Hello, I’m Maria! I’m a sophomore at Flagler College getting my degree in Anthropology with a focus in Archaeology as well as a double minor in Latin American Studies and Coastal Environmental Science.

I enjoy doing research, learning new things, and getting my hands dirty. I plan to study environmental archaeology in the future and have an interest in Community-Based Participatory Research. I believe that both of these subjects are going to change the world for the better, so this internship is well up my alley. I am very excited to be able to build my skills and get out of the classroom this year and to be able to meet all the archaeology nerds here in the northeast.

I am ecstatic to be interning under Emily Jane this spring doing Photogrammetry, 3D Laser Scanning, and Shoreline Mapping. So far, we have gone to Fort George State Island Park to work on creating 3D models of structures such as the McGundo and Houston Houses, as well as a pair of crypts.

Emily Jane and I taking pictures of a crypt in Jacksonville to create a 3D model of it.

Although it is very early into the internship, I feel as if I have learned an immense amount of information from this internship so far and have gained a much more informed view of public outreach in archaeology. As always, I am thrilled to learn and experience more as I move through my internship.